Bitrix24 Community

Support » Forum » CRM » Address Formats
Pages: 1
RSS
Address Formats, Using International Address Formats
Great product but I don't understand why companies build database products that allow addresses to be stored badly. The use of a single address block vs individual address lines causes data to get into a mess. Maintaining contact information for organisations and contacts should be easy to keep tidy. End users are bad enough at taking shortcuts but when they are allowed to enter data in poorly laid out address fields it compounds the problem.
Edited: David Living - 09/02/2012 03:48:05
1000% agree. This is one of a couple very large issues I see with the product.
Thanks for the feedback. We will consider this and probably divdie the address field  into several fields (address, city, state/region, zip, country).
1. Thanks for the reply and I appreciate given the stage that your at that this is not a priority but if can be addressed in the future that would be great. From a data perspective and an importing and exporting point of view a layout in individual lines is better e.g.
Building Name (optional but often useful)
Address Line 1
Address Line 2
Address Line 3
City
State/Region
Country

2. Alternatively work with one of the international address validators. I was just looking at this site http://www.uniserv.com/en/solutions/on-premise-on-demand.php and if you look at the salesforce demo that say they offer a free plugin for de-duping contacts and address validation. There lots of these out there though although usually it costs.

Designing database products to enhance or promote data quality makes the product more usable and it makes importing and exporting of data much easier as well.

Similar case could be made of phone number layouts but that could be for another post :)
Edited: David Living - 09/03/2012 16:11:13
I have been using your product know for about an hour setting up everything for a live beta.  Everything looks great except for the address blocks.    

Separate fields would be ideal.   When we go to do mailings we can't parse the data from multiple users with poor data entry habits.  Data entry is all about getting the right information in the correct fields.    Example, we need to filter customer by state, zip code, city,

Address
Address2
City
State   (Force a lookup list)  Alabama, Pennsylvania, ETC
Zip
Country  (Force a lookup list) United States, Mexico, Canada, Etc.

Thank you for making this a reality in your next release.  We are looking forward to using your web application.:)
1. Ideally you want the State and Country to be lookup fields.     Most people don't know state abbreviations.  We prefer to  use the whole state and country name in the lookups.    We can convert when doing mailings from Ohio to OH  or  Maine to MA  pretty easily.   There are many states with similar abbreviations.   When you have multiple people entering data it is best to standardize.  Food for thought in your development efforts.

Here is an example from another CRM solution we have looked at
Hi, David!

I've passed this request to the development.
It will be added in the future.
Thank you!

Best Regards,
Anna
Hi Anna,

I've just signed up and started testing bitrix24 for our organisation.
For us it's crucial that addresses field are broken up into at least : address, postcode, city, country
Do you have any kind of date when the the feature might be added?
Has anyone come up with a temporary solution in the meantime?

Best Regards,
Calvin

Hi Calvin,

For sure this won't be ready this Spring, we'll probably start working on it in the early summer.
Please do remember that in some countries we do not need the state-option. In Europe alone we have several diffrent ways to write an address and to make it more fluently you could have system to change the fields depending on country/area. So if I should choose to add an british contact it would be:

Mr. Walter C. Brown
49 Featherstone Street
LONDON EC1Y 8SY
UNITED KINGDOM

A french contact:
M. Duval
27 RUE PASTEUR
14390 CABOURG
FRANCE

A spanish contact:
Organismo Autónomio Correos y Telégraphos
Area de Asuntos Internacionales Calle Aduana, 29
28070 MADRID
SPAIN

As you can see there are diffrences in how to write and especially how to remember or say an address. People remember things in chunks and it is much easier to tell you address in one go than to be a spaniard and suddenly asked for the city before the postal code. It would help a lot to be able to fill in the address as it is on a card or speaking in the phone with a lead.

//Fredrik
Edited: Chief Web Officer - 03/13/2013 11:40:45
Fredrik, Thanks. We will take into account your request.
Your software looks great, but definetively, having the address segmented in different searchable lines is basic to do a good data analisys. We need to be able to zoning where the commercial job is done. For that we need postal code (zip code), address line 1(street), address line 2 (city) & country.

I suggest that you do the improvements as soon as possible.

And one question: Will we have to type all the addresses into the new format again??? What a waste of time!!! I hope you'll find the way so that the address will be automatically recognized and passed to the new format. Otherwise, entering data in your database means we'll have to do the job twice!

Time is gold!
Kind regards.
Unfortunately, we do not know when we will expand to multiple fields for address items, so I certainly can't speculate on how it will be done. If some address data is critical, such what Angelica mentioned, I would suggest creating custom fields, since filtering and search by custom fields is supported.  Not optimal, I realize.
Its Now nearly 2014 and we still have no sensible solution to company address fields - this is a real shame especially when importing from other CRM systems.

When is this going to happen please?
Hi Richard,

We plan to implement this feature this spring. Thank you for underlining the importance of this option in our product.

Kind Regards,

Yana.
It's very nearly summer now.  Is there any sign of this being implemented?
Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately this option implementation has been postponed. BTW  you can create custom fields, since filtering and search by custom fields is supported.
Though this option is not included in Bitrix24 self-hosted version standard package, it can be additionally designed (customized). If you are interested in the last option in our self-hosted version - you can download our 1-month free trial version& customize it yourself or hire one of our partnersto help you design unique customized intranet.

Kind Regards,

Yana.
David McBrier wrote:
1. Ideally you want the State and Country to be lookup fields. Most people don't know state abbreviations. We prefer to use the whole state and country name in the lookups. We can convert when doing mailings from Ohio to OH or Maine to MA pretty easily. There are many states with similar abbreviations. When you have multiple people entering data it is best to standardize. Food for thought in your development efforts.

Here is an example from another CRM solution we have looked at
Another vote for this, makes no sense to not be able to target specific cities, states, zips when doing sorting or reports. Much less grouping data...
Thanks for +1
Alan Davidsonwrote:
1000% agree. This is one of a couple very large issues I see with the product.

I've seen this posts and I'm little bit afraid...... really after 2 years this features is not implemented?
C of CRM is Customer, if i don't have the way to save my customer in a good format to filter / order etc... I think this is a big problem of the software to solve rapidly.
Hi Gianluca!

Thanks for your feedback, we'll take it into account for sure.

Best,

Yana.
Is there a plan to get this implemented anytime soon? Or is there an option to duplicate that address field so we can list multiple addresses under one company? I don't see an option to copy the current field and have tried creating custom fields but I am not seeing a viable option at this point. This is crucial to our business as we have to keep track of billing, shipping, main office, etc. addresses for one particular company.

Thanks,
Katie
Hi Katie!

If you mean the option that CRM record's address field value is added to the invoice - I'm afraid right now there is no option to add custom fields there - we are thinking about options like either extend the address filed format or add the possibility to create custom fields in the invoice (or add existing CRM records' custom fields to the invoices). Maybe spring 2015.

Best,

Yana.
Hi, another +1. It's a bit disappointing that this is still not implemented, and custom fields cannot be used on invoices as a workaround.  Please can you update on implementation status. Thanks, Simon
This is a big flop and failure! Seriously? No address formatting?
Not yet, I've added your vot for this feature, thanks.

Best,

Yana.
Hi really need the UK address layout - please advise
Hi Rowena,

You can set them in CRM > Settings > other settings > address format - United Kingdom.

Best,

Yana.
Pages: 1
2,000,000+
organizations
are already using Bitrix24